Young Researcher Seed Grants 2022
Up to $15,000; Application deadline Dec 6th, 2021
The MIT Center for Real Estate (CRE) seeks to promote research focused on the different elements that affect access to housing and the real estate industry at large. CRE will award 2 research seed grants in the amount of up to $15,000 to each junior researcher affiliated with MIT working on a high-quality academic paper around the following topics:
• Housing consumption, affordability, or equitable access
• Housing and real estate construction: economics, architecture, and engineering
• Innovations in the real estate construction process
• The evolution of real estate prices
• Commercial real estate markets: office, retail, hotel, housing rental, industrial and warehousing
• Real estate finance
• The intersection between zoning, urban planning, and real estate outcomes
• Financial markets backed by income from real estate
• Mortgages and real-estate backed credit
• Environmental impacts of the real estate sector
• Green building technologies
• Climate change mitigation and green buildings
Junior researchers include MIT-affiliated individuals who are: Assistant Professors, advanced Ph.D. students working on their dissertations, and Postdoctoral Fellows, Postdoctoral Associates, or Research Scientists who have obtained their PhDs on or after 2013.
This seed grant can be augmented with other funding, and freely used to cover any data collection, purchase of materials, research assistance, or travel needs, but excludes use for summer salaries.
Applicants should submit:
- Current CV, including information about current affiliation to MIT
- Up to a 2-page research proposal, explaining objectives, data, and methods
- Brief itemization of expected expenditures with a brief description of each line item
Proposals will be reviewed by Professors Walter Torous and Albert Saiz. Awards will be selected based on the quality of the proposal and proximity to the interests of the CRE as itemized above.
Please send your applications via an email with attachments 1, 2, and 3 described above (merged into a single .pdf file) to:
Joanne A. McHugh
Academic & Communications Assistant
MIT Center for Real Estate
Please submit your materials before the end of the day on Monday, December 6th at midnight. We expect to announce the awardees by the end of December and disburse the funds soon thereafter.
Upon receipt of the funds, selected researchers will commit to:
- Present the results of the research to a seminar at the CRE upon completion or as work in progress, no later than Friday, December 9, 2022.
- Upon completion of the paper, allow open-source distribution in the CRE Working Paper series website, no later than May 2023.
- Participate in an award event held by MIT/CRE.
- Acknowledge the support from this seed grant (among others) in the paper publication.